Sunday, November 7, 2010

Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars



There is something so comforting about some foods.  Something reminiscent of childhood, or maybe just a flavor that brings a comforting feeling.  Peanut butter is one of those foods for me.  Perhaps it is because when I was a child, I ate it by the spoonfuls, licking it as if it were lollipop.  And See's Candy once made a peanut butter lollipop that was my favorite. . .   how I miss those lollipops!

Rice Crispy Treats are the quintessential childhood treat.  Although I do enjoy a good thick rice crispy treat, give me something with that gooey goodness and peanut butter, and I am one happy camper!  These give me both!  I get a serious craving for these every now and then, and have to make them.  But I really do hate to make them because then I want to eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.  They have peanut butter and cereal, so they are healthy, right?  Oh well, I don't care because they are simple, sweet and yummy! Like rice crispy treats, they are best fresh and will harden with time.  So eat them up quickly, which shouldn't be a problem!  A great recipe to have the kids help!
Sorry my picture is sideways... still figuring this all out and could not get it to turn!




Peanut Butter Cornflake Bars

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 to 2 cups peanut butter (depends on how much PB flavor you like)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 6 cups cornflakes
Spray 7x11 baking dish with cooking spray. Bring sugar and corn syrup to a boil.  Add peanut butter and vanilla and remove from heat.  Mix until peanut butter is melted in and incorporated.  Pour over cornflakes and mix until all corn flakes are covered, working quickly.  Spread in pan and let sit until just cool and eat!

**HINT**  As a variation you can mix a bag of chocolate or butterscotch chips in with the cornflakes or melt them and spread them up on top.  Also can use rice crispies or mix the two cereals!  Try it with crunchy peanut butter!

1 comment: