Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Teriyaki Salmon with Wilted Garlic Spinach


I never had salmon growing up.  Actually, the only fish I remember eating when I was a kid was haddock.  And it was deep fried.  Seeing how I don't really do the whole deep fried thing now, for the sake of my arteries.  I mean they get enough abuse with the baked goods I indulge in.
I worked as a waitress in high school and through college.  I worked at at one place called "Mozzarella's Cafe", but then they changed their name to something else.  They were owned by Ruby Tuesday's.  They had some great dishes... one being a deep dish baked pasta... my personal favorite was one with alfredo sauce and smoked chicken, topped with melted cheese.  A-mazing!

 This was I think the first place I tried salmon, and I loved it.  I think it is really best when paired with the teriyaki sauce.  I order it often at restaurants, and the only time it has compared was when it was slathered in pesto.  I haven't made this in ages, because my 4 year old, well... let's just say it repeats on him... and on me.  We got wise after the 3rd time he ate it and gave him some chicken instead when I made this.
This salmon reminds me of the dish from those long lost days and it is SOOOOO easy! And I love the bed of spinach in was on.  Perfect compliment to the dish.


TERIYAKI SALMON with WILTED GARLIC SPINACH

INGREDIENTS:
  • Salmon
  • favorite teriyaki sauce/glaze (Lawry's is great, but has high fructose, I used Trader Joe's)
  • 3 scallions (green onions), chopped
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, diced
  • 1 TSBP oilve oil
  • 8 cups spinach
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a cookie sheet pan with foil. Place the salmon on it.  Dump on the sauce and some sesame seeds if desired.  Bake for 15-18 minutes (depends on how thick salmon is) or until is flaky and cooked through (may have to test). 

Just a few minutes before salmon is done, heat oil in a large wok or skillet pan over med high heat.  Add the garlic and let cook about 30-60 seconds.  Add spinach (I used baby spinach) and cook for 3-4 minutes over med high heat, until spinach is wilted well.  Season with salt and pepper.

Place greens on plate.  Top with salmon and top salmon with scallions and diced tomatoes.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment