Saturday, June 25, 2011

Buttercream Icing (the best ever)



I love icing...  When I was little I used to eat the cake first and save my icing for last (delayed gratification).  Now, I have figured out, who needs the cake? Eat a little cake with icing and throw the cake away.  That is because most cakes are dry.  The older and wiser I have gotten I realized that not all icing is created equal.
I do not like most stores frosting.  They are way too sweet, or too crisco laden and have no flavor.  It took me awhile to find a buttercream recipe worth repeating, but since I made this one, I have not looked back.  This is the best icing.  But don't take my word for it.  Try it!

BUTTERCREAM ICING

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
  • 1 cup crisco
  • 2 lb. confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 tsp clear butter flavor
  • 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • scant 1/2 cup milk
  • dash salt
DIRECTIONS:

Working with a mixer whisk attachment, beat butter and crisco until well combined.  Add  extracts and 10x sugar beating on low.  Add  a bit of milk slowly and increase mixer speed.  Add milk a bit at a time until it is the consistency you desire (I used little less than 1/2 cup for soft icing).   Beat until fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment