Monday, June 13, 2011

Chicken Divan



Simple dish.  A little time consuming, with preparing the broccoli and rice, but easy as far as complexity.  And it was a meal I had to stop myself from gorging myself.  The kids all chowed it down, even my picky eater, and it was just plain yummy.   Sorry about the poor photo's.   No good way to photograph casseroles. 

I had some leftover chicken and lots of broccoli, and realized when we move that I have an abundance of grains/rice.  So, it screamed Chicken Divan!  Seriously, I did not want to stop eating it.  But I did. ;-) This served our family of 6 with enough leftovers for tomorrow.  Maybe 6-8 adults.

CHICKEN DIVAN

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2-3/4 roaster chicken cut up
  • 1 cup dry rice, cooked (I used brown jasmine)
  • 2.5 cups broccoli, steamed al dente
  • 1 can healthy request cream soup (chicken or mushroom)
  • 1/3 cup light sour cream
  • 1/2 cup light mayo
  • juice half a lemon
  • 1.5 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 cup white wine or broth to thin
  • milk to thin more if needed
  • 1 cup(ish) shredded cheese (cheddar or swiss)
  • handful of bread crumbs or crushed croutons
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350. Cut up chicken, cook rice and steam broccoli.  Spray 9x13 with cooking spray.  Put rice evenly in the bottom.  Top evenly with cut up chicken.  Top with steamed broccoli.  Mix soup, sour cream, mayo, lemon juice and curry powder.  Whisk in wine or broth and some milk until still thick, but spreadable (not gloppy).  Pour over broccoli.  Sprinkle cheese over top and bread crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment