Saturday, November 26, 2011

Banana Cornmeal Pancakes


I had some leftover bananas ad thought about making banana pancakes up, but then I thought about the possibility of cornmeal.  These pancakes were delicious and I loved how they were something different.  the first bite, I was not sure if I liked them, then I took another and settled into the cornmeal flavor.  I think my palette was surprised, even though I knew what I was eating.  Funny how that is.  My kids chowed them, and my husband really liked the combo of the banana and cornmeal.

BANANA CORNMEAL PANCAKES
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse, Food network
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 TBSP brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup greek nonfat yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg whites
DIRECTIONS:

In a medium size bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl, combine yogurt, egg yolk, vanilla and milk.  Using a wooden spoon, add dry to wet ingredients.  Lightly fold in bananas and the melted butter.  In a separate bowl, beat 3 egg whites until soft peak forms.  Gently fold egg whites into the rest of the batter.  Cook on preheated, greased griddle.  Serve with warm syrup and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment