Friday, November 18, 2011

Dutch Apple Pie



I am not a huge pie fan.  I find the crust mostly a waste of calories.  However, I love the fillings.  Often times, I will eat the filling and chuck the crust, unless I am in the mood for the whole slice.  But I am well aware that not everyone shares my tastes.  For instance, not much in life makes my husband happier than a good slice of pie with ice cream and whipped cream and of course, a tall glass of cold milk.  I do love me some apple crisp though!  So, this pie makes us both happy.  He gets the crust, I get the filling and the yummy crumbly top.  I like my apple filling very soft, melt in your mouth like, and this was perfect!

This pie does its baking in a paper bag.  Yes, you heard correctly.  Not sure why, maybe the steam, or protects it from browning while still allowing the topping to get crunchy.  I have made this pie over a dozen times without the bag, and the topping often gets a bit to brown.  This time it was perfect.  Go ahead and try it and see what you think.

DUTCH APPLE PIE

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pie shell- uncooked
  • 8-10 granny smith apples (or your fave baking apple)
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 TBSP flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (I like cinnamon, so I used 1/2 TBSP)
  • 1 TBSP lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • handful of oatmeal (OPT.-  if not using, add 1/4 more flour)
DIRECTIONS:

Peel and slice apples thin.  Microwave for 4 minutes to soften.  If you like a firmer apple, skip the microwave.  Add sugars, flour, lemon juice, vanilla and spices.  
Preheat oven to 425.
In a separate bowl, use a pastry blender or fork to mix cold butter with sugars and flour.  
Give apples another stir to distribute the juices and dump into pie shell.  Sprinkle crumb topping over the top evenly.  Place paper bag on a baking sheet (Catches run off for easy clean up) and place pie  inside.  Fold opening over and staple or use a metal paper clip to seal shut.   Bake at 425 for 1 hour.  (I took mine out the last 10-15 minutes to let it brown some.)

VARIATION:  You can add some chopped pecans to the topping for a switch up!

 NOTE:  If you have a gas oven, I might recommend using brown parchment paper or cooking without paper and cover if it is browning too much.  Can use white parchment, but reduce heat to 400 and cook for 70 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment