Monday, December 5, 2011

Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Like Olive Garden's)


I can't really say if this is like Olive Garden's, because I have never had Olive Garden's, but this soup ranks up there with the best I've ever had.  The gnocchi's are like little pillows of heaven and the soup creaminess and the richness of flavor all combined for something I think I could live on for the rest of my life.  I wanted to seriously dive in and swim around it this soup.  And the bread to sop it up...  ugh!. . .almost put me over the edge. 

The other bonus, this soup is SO quick and easy.  A few pointers:  I baked some chicken breasts drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt and Trader Joe's 21 season salute @ 350 for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through (I used 1 and a half large breasts).  And I used Trader Joe's whole wheat gnocchi which was divine!  I WILL (sorry to yell) be making this again and again.

CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
adapted from copykat.com


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup chicken breasts, baked and diced (you can use a rotisserie chicken)
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 2-3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 can evaporated 2% milk
  • 1 1/2 cups (ish) skim milk
  • 3-4 cups chicken broth (depending how creamy you want it)
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 2 stalks celery, finely diced
  • 4 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 cup carrots, finely shredded
  • 1 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, coarsely chopped (or 1/4 block frozen)
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon parsley
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound potato gnocchi, you can buy this in the gourmet section of many supermarkets
 DIRECTIONS:

Saute the onion, and celery in the butter and olive oil over medium heat, sprinkle with some salt.  Cook until the onion becomes translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.  Add the flour and make a roux. Let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding evaporated milk and skim milk.do not boil, but let heat until thickens, then add carrots and chicken.
Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Once the mixture becomes thick, add the chicken broth. Once the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasoning; simmer until soup is heated through.  Serve topped with lots of Parmesan and with bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment