Sunday, December 12, 2010

Meatloaf

Everyone has a family recipe for meatloaf.  So I though I would share mine.  This is my mom's and Aunt Mary's  recipe.  I use ground turkey, because I don't eat beef of pork because I find them icky.  This makes plenty for leftovers and sometimes I will use 3lbs of meat, bake it, then freeze half of it for a supper later in the month.  The cheese makes it unique and even more delicious!  I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and carrots, but you can make it with whatever you want.

MEATLOAF 
  • 2 lbs. ground turkey (I use 85/15)or favorite ground meat
  • 1 roll crushed  ritz crackers
  • 1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 sm. onion diced 
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 1 Tbsp basil
  • 1-2 tsp parsley
  • 1 c. cubed mozzarella cheese
SAUCE
  • 1stick melted butter
  • 1 c. ketchup
  • 1 sm. can plain tomato sauce 
Mix all together except cheese.  (sometimes hands are better for mixing)
Then add cheese and stir in gently. Put in greased baking pan and pat down to about 3" thick.
Bake @ 350 for an hour to 1.5 hours covered.  Stir up sauce and pour over top and let cook additional 15-30 min, uncovered.


*Times vary because of ovens and this is such a forgiving dish.  As long as the meat is cooked, it would be hard to dry it out.


**If adding carrots as I did, best to steam them in the microwave for 7 min so they will be tender.  I added them  when adding the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment