Saturday, May 26, 2012

Baked Bruschetta Dip



This is my all time lowest blog month.  I have no idea how time has gotten away from me, but it has.  I have still been cooking and have a gazillion (official number) recipes to blog and post.  Some I am not even sure I remember. 
 Anyway... this one, was an original and man was it yummy.  The heat blast from broiling the cheese intensifies the sweetness of the tomato and makes it robust and so flavorful.  A great new twist on an old favorite.

BAKED BRUSCHETTA DIP

INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I would use grape or vine ripened)
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  •  French baguette
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese (or Italian blend)
  • Parmesan cheese for top
DIRECTIONS: 
Chop tomatoes and seed as much as possible (not obsessively) and place in a baking dish.  Add garlic and basil.  Stir gently.  Add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir gently again.  Let sit for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, slice bagette thin and toast.  Stir again and top with cheese.  Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown for about 5 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning.  Serve hot, spooning over bagette or dipping in with bagette or we used garlic calabrese crisps.  *Note-  Last time I made it, I drizzled the top with balsamic glaze and fresh pesto after baking and it was delicious!!
ENJOY!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment