Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Cherry Delight Breakfast Cake


Growing old sucks.  Seriously...  now I have to go to gym and work out for an hour just to burn off the calories from looking at food.  If it goes in the mouth, make it 2 hours.  So depressing.   At least if I am still going to eat it, it should taste amazing.  Like this cake.
I saw this cake forever ago on my friends Cristine's blog,  cristinecooks, and have been pining to make it since I first saw it.  It just looked so delicious and I just loved the name of it.  I have been making goodies for my church each Sunday morning, just to relieve my baking addiction without suffering from having to consume it all by myself.
Before the glorious drizzle.

I got up early to whip this up and it was very easy.  The result was so good!  Loved it!  It reminded me of entenmann's danish a little bit.  I would love to add streusel to the top next time. I could've easily eaten half the pan.  It was kind of fun to watch or rather listen to people eat this delightful little cake.  It was start with a little "oh", then move on to some "Wow!  that is really good" and some more "oh's".  Don't wait over a year to make this cake, and don't be intimidated by the yeast.  It is easy, and would be great any time of day!


Cherry Delight Breakfast Cake
Recipe from Tami's Kitchen Table TalkINGREDIENTS:


For the cake:
  • 3 C. flour (I used 1/2 whole grain)
  • 1/4 C Sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1/2 C. milk
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1- 21 oz can Cherry Pie Filling
For Cake Glaze:
  • 1/2-3/4 C confectioner's sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2-4 tsp milk


DIRECTIONS:
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, sugar & yeast and mix well. Heat 1/2 cup milk, water and butter until very warm and then add to flour mixture, along with eggs. Beat at low speed with hand mixer until all ingredients are wet; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in an additional 1 to 1 1/2 cup flour until a stiff batter forms. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and a towel. Let rise about 45 to 60 (I did 60 minutes)  minutes or until doubled in size.
Grease a 13 x 9 pan. Stir batter; Pour 3/4 batter into pan and top with cherry filling. Spoon remaining batter by tablespoons over batter. Cover again and let rise until light, approximately 20 - 30 minutes (I did 30 min).
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover dough mixture. Bake 30-35 (I baked 35) minutes or until golden brown.  You want to make sure it is not doughy.  You can carefully lift the cake around the pockets of cherries and make sure it is not doughy there.

Meanwhile make glaze:

Mix sugar and 2 tsp milk, and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Continue adding a little milk until a thick glaze consistency is created. Drizzle over cake while still warm.  Serve warm or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment