Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Smokey Beer Cheddar Chicken Tacos



My cousin sent me this recipe a few weeks ago.  It took a bit to get on the menu, but it was definitely going on the menu.  Her and I share a love for food.  But, let's go one step further, and say we share a love for good food.  So, I trust her when she recommends a recipe.  I would actually love to have her on here blogging too, because she is a great cook and she is freakin' hilarious!  Maybe someday I can convince her. 

Anyway. . .  cheddar, beer, tacos.  Do I really need to say anything more?  Of course I do, because I love to talk, or write.  Anyway x2-  I am not a beer fan.  Actually, I hate the taste of alcohol.  I had my first sip with my husband when we lived in Germany.  I figured if I don't like German beer, I won't like any beer.  I have taken many sips of wine and beer, and I can't help but wrinkle my nose.  And liquor, or mixed drink, forget it!  I can tell and virgin mixed drink from a normal in a second.  I cringe at the taste of the alcohol.  Sometimes, with four kids, I kinda wished I liked it.  But I don't.  BUT, I love to cook with it!  Cognac, champagne, wine, vodka, beer...  I like it all.  But in food.  
These tacos are very tasty, loved the smokey note from the gouda and smoked paprika.  This made a ton of chicken.  I made enchiladas with the leftovers which were also amazing.  If you got beer, cheese and chicken, you got this.  Simple and good.



SMOKEY CHEDDAR BEER CHICKEN TACOS
slightly adapted from http://www.howsweeteats.com
serves 4+
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup good dark beer
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoons cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • lime
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese + more for topping
  • 3/4 cup smoked gouda, grated
  • taco shells
Taco toppings: greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, salsa, chopped onion, black beans, shredded lettuce, etc.

DIRECTIONS:

Put the chicken in the crock pot.  In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Dump over the chicken and dump the beer in.  Mix it around to coat the chicken.
Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
When chicken is done, shred it up, either in the crock, or I take mine to a cutting board then through it back in the liquid.  All those yummy juices will redistribute back into the chicken. Taste and season (mine needed a bit more salt), then let sit in the crockpot for another 15 minutes or so. Turn off the crock and toss in the about 1/2 of each of the cheeses.  Squeeze the juice of a lime over the chicken.  Stir it in the chicken and transfer to serving bowl and make your tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment