Thursday, February 2, 2012

Rocky Road Cake


This is one of those throw together cakes.  It took about 5 minutes to get it made.  The frosting takes longer than the cake to make.  My kids all licked off the icing, then devoured the cake.   I brought this to a church potluck and I was very tempted to eat just cake for lunch, but I thought it might look funny if I sat down with 3 pieces of cake and no other food.
This cake is incredibly moist and lick your plate good.  And I love this icing.  It is so light and has the texture or whipped cream almost.  There was a version of this frosting that my grandmother made and it needed to be cooked.  It was great. . .  except there would be tiny lumps of flour in it, that kinda made me gag.  This custard frosting is silky smooth and all can be done in the kitchen aid; no cooking required!
This recipe came from someone in my family, but is probably all over the internet.  You could top it with a fudge icing and marshmallows and nuts mashed into the icing... or top yourself with that.  But personally, I love it with the custard icing! A great cake!

ROCKY ROAD CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
The shiny spots are where the marshmallows melted: little pockets of sweetness.
  • 1 box devil's food cake mix
  • 1- 3 oz. pkg. chocolate pudding
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2-3/4 cup choc. chips (I did 3/4)
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a bundt pan, or use baking spray.  Blend the cake mix, mayo, pudding, eggs and water until mixed through.  Add the nuts, chocolate chips and marshmallows and gently stir in until incorporated.  Bake @ 350 for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. 

NOTE: The marshmallows do melt into the cake, and create little pockets of sweetness.





CUSTARD FROSTING

Here is the link for the icing:
custard frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment