Saturday, January 28, 2012

Almond Joy-ful Waffles (Coconut Waffles)


So, laying in bed this morning... not wanting to get up.  I needed inspiration.  Coconut waffles-- a good reason for getting out of bed.  Dessert for breakfast anyone?  Seriously, after the first bite, I knew I was in for it.  These are super rich and decadent and one waffle did me.  My husband ate 3, but he always does.  My husband's favorite candy bar is almond joy, so these were inspired by him and perhaps that is why he was a human garbage disposal.

These smell A-MAZING when they come off the griddle.  Seriously.  And what better way to top them, then with some toasted coconut, and lightly toasted chopped almonds and chocolate chips, or maybe some warmed nutella?  Or maybe if you are having them for dessert, some coconut  ice cream and hot fudge.  That is so going to be dessert tonight!

I made some homemade whipped cream and we also put some strawberries on it, which made it a little bit healthy, right?  Actually, it did help offset the richness and sweet.
I may just dunk my head in some maple syrup and coconut tonight.


ALMOND JOY-FUL WAFFLES (COCONUT WAFFLES)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups flour (I used a mix of whole grain and white)
  • 1 TBSP baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 TBSP sugar
  • 2 whole eggs 
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 TBSP melted butter
  • 1 14oz. can light coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp coconut flavoring
  • chocolate chips, toasted coconut*, and chopped almonds for topping
DIRECTIONS:

Whisk together dry ingredients.  Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the eggs (slightly beaten) coconut milk, coconut flavoring, milk and melted butter.  Whisk until all incorporated.  Placed on greased waffle iron and cook until a light golden brown.  *To toast the coconut, put on baking sheet under low broil, watching very carefully and turning once of twice, until golden.  Or you can use a pan over medium heat to toast it.

No comments:

Post a Comment