Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cherry Almond Cake


This cake is a sure hit.  It is absolutely delicious!  My mom got the recipe from a long time friend and gave me the recipe.  She and I both have always gotten rave reviews!  The almond flavor mixed with the fruit filling is so good.  I have had it for breakfast with coffee too.
A few notes on it.  It does not do well in a stone pan.  It doesn't cook evenly or something.  It really needs a metal pan to be evenly cooked.  Also, don't overbake, because the outside pieces get dry.  I did it in my pampered chef baker the first time I made it and undercooked it a little and I had brought it to a potluck.  I was mortified that it wasn't cooked through and cake-like all the way through.  I got tons of compliments and people telling me they loved my "cobbler."  So, no worries if it is a little soft when you cut into it.  Also, it keeps great for several days!

CHERRY ALMOND CAKE
recipe from: Theresa Jackson

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tsp almond extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 can cherry pie filling (I buy the extra cherry variety)
For glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2-3 TBSP milk
  • 1 tsp almond extract
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a metal 9x13 pan.  Mix butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and eggs for 3 minutes.  Whisk together flour and baking powder.  Add to butter mixture and mix until incorporated.  Pour 2/3 of cake batter into the prepared pan.  Spoon cherry pie filling over the batter evenly.  Spoon remaining batter over the cherry pie filling.  Bake for 40-45 minutes (I do 45).  Let cool for at least 30 minutes before drizzling with glaze.  For the glaze, add enough milk so it drizzles off the spoon but not so much it is watery.  You want it a bit thick.  Drizzle over cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment