Monday, April 25, 2011

Coconut Cake and Custard Frosting


So, I was so excited to try this cake.  I saw it made on America's Test Kitchen, and Chris Kimball said it was the best things they have ever made. I have had the ingredients forever, but was looking for the occasion.  My parents and brother were in town this weekend for Easter and it seemed the perfect time for it.  So, I made it for my little boys 4th birthday party.  I was so dissappointed.  The cake was truly delicious.  A very lovely coconut flavor and the toasted coconut was just to die for.
My problem was the frosting.  It was like sweetened butter.  I could not even bring myself to eat it.  It was 4 sticks of butter.  Yes, you read that right, 1 lb. of butter in this icing.  Glorified sweet butter as frosting.  So, I refuse to post the recipe for the frosting because I found it offensive.
But I will post the cake and I will make it again.  It was so tender and had a great crumb.  This is not the normal white cake that you find with a coconut cake.   It is truly a coconut cake.

I will post my preferred icing, and also tell you the cream of coconut is used to make pina coladas, found in the mixed drink section.

COCONUT CAKE
by: America's Test Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 1/4 cups cake flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1TBSP baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 12 TBSP softened unsalted butter, cubed
  • 5 large egg white
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • 3/4 c. cream of coconut (NOT coconut milk)
  • 1/4 cup water
DIRECTIONS: 
Preheat oven to 325.  Prepare 2 round pans with parchment on bottom and baker's spray.  Or try your luck with baker's spray only.
Mix dry ingredients on low speed.  Add cubed softened butter one at a time and continue to mix for about 2 minutes until it looks like pea crumbs.  In separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, coconut extract, cream of coconut and water.  Add 1/2 of wet ingredients to dry and mix for a minute then add the rest.  Mix until well combined.  Pour evenly into 2 prepared round pans.  Bake at 325 for 30-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.  (they said 30, but mine was still soupy in middle).  Let cool for 10-15 minutes.  Loosen cake from sides of pan with a small knife.  Carefully flip onto flat surface to finish cooling.  Cut cake in half so you will have 4 equal layers.

CUSTARD FROSTING 
from Ann Czyz


INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
  • 3/4 cup crisco (veg. shortening)
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 1/2 TBSP Flour
  • 3 tsp vanilla (can sub. one with coconut extract for coconut cake)
  • 1 cup milk
DIRECTIONS:

Working with a mixer, beat butter and vegetable shortening until well combined.  Add sugar and beat another few minutes.  Add flour one TBSP at a time until incorporated.  Slowly add vanilla extract and milk and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 5-10 minutes.  NOTE:  It will look greasy and taste grainy at first.  Adding the milk will help, but whipping it will cause it lose all graininess and become smooth and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment