Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lettuce Wraps (like PF Changs)



My sister-in-law got me started on PF Chang's lettuce wraps.  I adore them.  My problem with them is there are never enough for the table to share.  Last night I decided to make them for dinner.  I was not sure how the kids would do with them.  They made me proud!  From age 2 to age 7 they pounded them.  My older 2 both asked for seconds. 
I think they are every bit as good as PF Chang's version and are pretty easy.  They come together very quickly and we made a meal out of them.  The key is chopping up everything before you start cooking because they cook quick once that skillet gets turned on.  Enjoy!


TURKEY LETTUCE WRAPS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1-1.5 lbs. ground turkey
  • 1-2 TBSP sesame, peanut or walnut oil
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce
  • 3 scallions chopped
  • 2-3 med sized button mushrooms- finely chopped
  • 1/2 can finely chopped water chestnuts
  • handful finely chopped peanuts (opt)
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • spoonful minced ginger (I use jarred or tube)
  • 2 tsp cornstarch to thicken
  • 2 TBSP rice vinegar
  • 3-4 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
  • 3-4 TBSP brown sugar
DIRECTIONS:

Chop all the ingredients that need chopping.  Also, prep lettuce.  Tear leaves off whole and wash gently and place on paper towels to dry. 
This is so you can gauge how much of each. But I am sure it is forgiving.


Preheat skillet and put in oil.  Place in ground turkey and use wooden spoon to chop up.  When turkey starts to brown (4-5 min) add scallions, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger.   Cook until turkey is no longer pink.  Add rice vinegar, soy sauce, water chestnuts and cornstarch. Stir in. Add brown sugar and stir in.  Add chopped peanuts and stir in.  DO NOT OVERCOOK TURKEY!  Let sit for a few minutes off heat  to thicken and let flavors meld.  Serve warm with lettuce like a burrito. 

No comments:

Post a Comment