Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pound Cake


I always knew that pound cake was a dense cake.  But I thought it was doomed to the dry, crumbly, freezer burnt variety of the frozen food section (you know who are), so I never thought myself to be a fan.
Many years ago, I went to a bridal or baby shower (tells you how long ago, I don't even remember which it was) where they served strawberry shortcake with pound cake that my cousin Michelle had made.  Of course, for all I remember it could've been my shower, but I do remember the pound cake!  It was so moist and had such a delicious flavor.  Maybe I was pregnant?!
That deep dark crust makes me afraid (not a crust person) but it is actually delicious, it is caramelized and sweet.

Anyway, I got the recipe from her and have made it several times since and it is just a great pound cake.  There are a million recipes out there in cyber land, but I couldn't find this one.  Most recipes have 3 cups of sugar, this has slightly less with 2 3/4 cups, which takes the edge off it being too sweet.  And it also has baking powder, which I think lends itself to a nice texture.  Dense, but not brick like.  I did make one change by adding more vanilla, because I like a strong vanilla flavor, but you could cut it back if you don't care for vanilla.

POUND CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 cups AP Flour (I sifted mine)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups butter (2 1/2 sticks) softened
  • 2 3/4 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare loaf pans with baking spray or grease and flour.  Whisk dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
Working with a stand mixer, beat softened butter until whipped.  Add sugar and beat for about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary.  Add eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each.  Add vanilla and beat until combined.
Add evaporated milk and flour alternately while mixing on medium.
Pour into prepared pans.

Bake @ 350 for 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Can also use bundt pan, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment