Monday, April 25, 2011

Pumpkin French Toast






A weird Easter brunch choice I realize.  We are moving in a month and due the great pumpkin shortage last fall and my obsessive canned pumpkin buying, I have to use up some pumpkin!!  So, why not?
I kinda made this up on the fly.  Turns out there are similar recipes out there.  This was very tasty and would make a wonderful holiday treat.  There are those mornings where I forgot to prepare a baked french toast the night before,or was too tired.  Have guests and want to impress?  This is a great solution.  It is kinda like my pumpkin bread pudding.   Very yummy!



PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST

INGREDIENTS:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch fresh grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 12 slices bread (I used 3/4" slices of raisin Challah bread)
DIRECTIONS:

Whisk all but the bread together.  Let bread sit in mixture for 2 minutes on each side.  Pick up and hold over and let excess come off bread.  Place in buttered hot pan.  Fry until golden on each side.  Pick up and sear sides of bread too (I do this to ensure no raw eggs are going to be consumed and so it won't be soggy on the sides).  Serve with warm syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment