Tuesday, June 19, 2012

TWD: BWJ French Berry Cake



I couldn't call mine strawberry as the recipe is written, because I did raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. 

So, at first glance, I thought this recipe was going to be a piece of cake (no pun intended).  A closer look revealed a little more fuss than the average cake.  I read the directions like 10 times because I did not want to screw it up.  I rolled up my sleeves and dove on in.  First dilemma, what pan to use.  There were complaints in the blog reel about the cake not being thick enough to get 3 layers.  Because I am a do-be do-right, I wanted those 3 layers, but was scared not to use the 8" pan the recipe said to use.  I threw caution to the wind and I opted for a 7 inch pan, rather than an 8 inch (bigger is not always better ;-) with a removable bottom.  SCORE!  I got a 2 1/4" cake rather than and 1 1/2".

My cake came out great, even with my normal little mistakes here and there (like dumping 2/3 of the flour in instead of 1/3).  I did one and a half batches of the cream topping, which was barely enough, but really the perfect amount, because there was none left over for me to dunk my head in.

There was some leftover berry juice from making the cake and we put it up on some vanilla ice cream.  OH-MY!  It reminded me of the "himbeer-bomchen"  we used to get at the ice cream shop, in Germany.  A raspberry topped ice cream sundae.  Amazing.  Better than the cake really.

But, we really loved this cake.  I felt like I was eating something out of a fancy bakery because it was pretty and it tasted great!  Would love to make this one again.  If you want to make it, you can get the recipe from our hosts websites.  Thanks to Sophia and Allison for hosting!

10 comments:

  1. A mixed berries version sounds yummy to me! Good idea using a 7 inch pan to get the maximum height for the genoise...will try that size next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks delish; mixed berries are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca your cake looks delicious! I used a 7 inch pan too but yours turned out much nicer looking than mine:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never thought of the mixed berries----very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. And I can totally relate to your love for those German ice cream sundaes with berries... they're heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your layers look wonderful so using the 7 inch pan obviously worked! It looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great call on using the 7" pan!
    Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cracked up with your comment about not having enough whipped cream to dunk your head in. It was awesome, wasn't it. I just took a big spoon and kept shoveling it into my mouth. Then I had to stop. Sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, and the mixed berries sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete