Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Zucchini Frosted Brownies


 I saw these on pinterest and was a bit of a skeptic.  I went and bought some zucchini so I could make them anyway, setting out to prove my skepticism was warranted.  In mixing it, my husband asked if I had done it right because the batter was so thick and crumbly.  *SMACK*. After a sound scolding, I moved on and put them in the pan.  Then my loving husband told me it looked like worms in the batter.  *SMACK #2*  (now before you get on judging, I didn't really smack Mr. Delectable.  But maybe felt like it. . . a little.) A perk?  No temptation to devour the batter!
wormy?

I cooked them and cut them when they were still warm, because my kids had a bed time.  Working with a schedule here people!  I frosted them individually.  I had a taste and was a bit disappointed, or maybe just proving I was right.  They were very cake like and I could still feel the texture of the zucchini.  Oh well~~~  BUT WAIT!  Don't dismiss these like I did.  The next day, the zucchini miraculously melted into the brownie and made them fudgy and yummy!  Less cakey...  now I added an egg which was not in the original recipe which may have made them more cakey to begin with.  Who knows?
The icing makes these babies, so don't skip it!  These are brownies that are actually better on day 2. I ate a huge piece in one sitting, did not feel an ounce of guilt, then wished I hadn't, because they were all gone!  I will be making these again... probably this week.  I got some more zucchini to use up!

ZUCCHINI FROSTED BROWNIES
  
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups zucchini (shredded)

Chocolate Fudgy Frosting-
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 cups confectioners sugar (or more)
  • 1/2 cup milk (can start with 1/3 cup)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish or line with parchment.

In a large bowl mix together oil, the egg, sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract until well blended. In another bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix into the sugar, adding in 1/3 at a time. Fold in zucchini. Batter will be very thick and almost crumbly.  Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish, using a spatula or your fingers to help spread it out..
Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes I did 25min) until the brownies spring back when gently touched. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.


To make the frosting- In a small saucepan over low heat, or microwave, melt together the cocoa powder and butter. Set aside to cool. In a medium bowl blend 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk in the butter/cocoa mixture. Whisk in last cup of powdered sugar.  It will be thinner than cake icing, but should not be runny per say.  Add more sugar until consistency you like, and tastes good.  Spread over cooled brownies and cut into squares.  These are best when not warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment