Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Veggie Lasagna Roll-Ups



I have been so uninspired lately.  I have several recipes to blog, but I am just preoccupied with life, and was with overwhelmed with the plague in my house, to get to actually blogging them.  I will try to do better.  Been a very unproductive summer so far.  *sigh*  I know, you don't really care to read my gripes.

Soooooo, ever have a recipe and you have swooned over the idea of it, but just never gotten around to making it?  Yeah, this was one of those.  My aunt gave it to me when I got married over 13 years ago (I know, I am a procrastinator. . . and I'm old!) and it always looked great, but I just never got to it.  Loser. Me, not my aunt.  This was an original recipe of hers, and I adjusted it a bit to my tastes...  like lots of garlic.  I also tweaked the veggies to my liking.

These babies were great!  I ate only one (trying to behave), but my 6 year old ate 3!  I could have joined him, if I had his metabolism.  Super creamy cheese and packed full of flavor.  These are so versatile too.  I could see using broccoli, or chopped mushrooms, or my aunt uses black olives.  Don't like a veggie I used?  Trade it out.  Also, I substituted out some lowfat cottage cheese for some ricotta to save some fat and calories, but you can do all ricotta if you so choose.  To me, recipes are open to interpretation!

Not gonna lie.  These are a little time consuming.  Between cooking the pasta and preparing the veggies and cheese.  I puttered around and could have had them done a lot sooner.  But I was lazy and out of practice.
Anyway, get inspired and make these.  You will love them!


VEGGIE LASAGNA ROLL-UPS
Recipe adapted from: my Aunt Laurie

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 box lasagna noodle (I like whole wheat), cooked (2 minutes less than called for)
  • 8 oz. ricotta cheese
  • 8 oz. cottage cheese
  • 8-16 oz. mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/2 cup(ish) Italian bread crumbs
  • sprinkle of fresh or dries basil (to taste)
  • 1-2 TBSP olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 can artichoke hearts, drained and diced
  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (can use fresh and add with onion)
  • 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes (drained if using oil packed)
  • 3-4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced zucchini
  • jar favorite spaghetti sauce
DIRECTIONS:

Cook pasta very al dente (not cooked through), so it will bend and roll, but not cooked through.
Coat with some oil or lay out on foil or wax paper so it won't stick together. Set aside until cool enough to handle.  Meanwhile, mix ricotta, cottage cheese, 8 oz. mozzarella (2 cups), Parmesan, and Italian bread crumbs.
all the glorious veggies!
In a large skillet over med-high heat, add olive oil and diced onions (and fresh red pepper if you are using that instead of roasted variety).  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5-7 minutes until tender and starting to brown.  Add zucchini, and stir up.  Cook 2-3 minutes.  Garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.  Add spinach and cook until wilted.  Add artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomatoes.  Stir, remove from heat and set aside to cool some.  After it has cooled a bit, add it to the cheese mixture.
Preheat oven to 350.  Pour half the sauce in the bottom of a pan.  Spoon 1/2-3/4 cup of the cheese and veggie mixture onto a noodle and smear it over the length of the noodle.  Roll it and place it in the pan.  Repeat until cheese mixture or noodles are gone.  Top each one with a spoonful of sauce.  If desired, top with some mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted and toasty.  Serve with bread and a  salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment