Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tomato Galette (Or Pie)




So, way back when I had my cook-off at the Ronald McDonald House, my competitors made a tomato pie.  I didn't think much of it as "competition" until I tasted it.  It was tangy, sweet, salty and a wonderful balance of all those things.  It tasted of the peak of summer and was satisfying and almost refreshing.  I asked her how she made it, and listened carefully to what she did so I could make it and eat it when I was not so full.

I had to make a galette for my baking group, but decided to double the dough recipe so I could make this.  It was very good and we really enjoyed it.  It is also super easy, especially if you use a store bought crust like my competitors did (which being the purist that I am, I felt like it was cheating ;-).  But at home, cheating is good.  Especially with the busy lives we all lead.  Anyway, enjoy!

TOMATO GALETTE (or PIE)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pie crust recipe
  • 3 cups sliced tomatoes (I used 3 large, 5 medium, and a handful of halved grape)
  • 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup light mayo
  • 1 cup mozzarella
  • 1/3 cup cheddar
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan
  • 8-10 leaves of fresh basil, chopped
  • salt and pepper
DIRECTIONS:

Galette-
Preheat oven to 350.  Slice tomatoes, place on paper towels and sprinkle with about a tsp. salt.  For a galette, roll dough and slice around edges with a sharp knife or pizza cutter to make round.  Place on parchment lined baking sheet.   Spread mustard oven the crust (for galette- leave 1" on edge clean for folding over)  Place tomatoes in/on shell, layer a bit.  Season with pepper and sprinkle with basil.  Mix mayo with cheeses and crumble/spread/sprinkle over tomatoes.  Fold edges up on galette and pleat as needed.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, until crust is golden and top is golden brown and yummy looking.For the galette dough recipe, you can go here.

For pie crust, roll and place in pie tin, and parbake for 10-15 minutes.   Layer just like with galette.  Bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment