Monday, September 17, 2012

White Chicken Chili (Crock Pot)




Still trying to get back on the blogging train.   Life has been busy.  I continue to try to find my house amidst legos, hot wheels and pirates.  Yes, the pirates seem to be looting and leaving a trail.  Sad, really.  Somewhere, under the mountain of legos, lies a clean house.  Just like somewhere under this haggard woman, lies a hot chick.

On to the food.

I love white chicken chili.  Particularly, I love Ruby Tuesday's white chicken chili.  I like the thickness it has.  I made a version a few months back, and never blogged it because it was a disappointment.  I took a bunch of recipes and kinda meshed them, but I was just not a huge fan.  This time, I went with my instincts and also with what was in my pantry.   This had a little kick, but the sour cream took enough of the edge off to make it so all my kids ate it.  My 7 year old had two big bowlfuls!  We all loved this!  Healthy and yummy!


WHITE CHICKEN CHILI (CROCK POT)
INGREDIENTS:
  •  4 cups (32 oz box) chicken stock
  • 3 cans white navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 large onions, diced
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 3 large chicken breasts, halved in thickness
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup green verde salsa
  • 1 TBSP corn meal (sprinkle over)
  • salt and pepper 
  • 2 TBSP fresh cilantro or 2 tsp. dried

DIRECTIONS:
 Place chicken, onion and carrots in the crock pot on high.  Let cook 2-3 hours, until chicken is cooked through.  Shred chicken.  Add broth, cornmeal, spices, and 1 can beans.  Mash the other 2 cans with a masher (or your hand, like me)  roughly (meaning does not need to be thorough), and add to crock pot.    Cover and simmer for one more hour.
Garnish with sour cream, Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment