Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chicken Rice Crispy Casserole



 I have several recipes to post.  Blogspot and I have been having issues with photos.  We seemed to have worked out our differences, so I am going to try to post a few.

This dish is super easy and one that brings me back to my childhood.  My mom used to make it, and the yummy rice crispy topping remains my favorite part.  I am not a rice fan, but in dishes like these, which is comfort food at it's best, I enjoy it.  It is kinda like mac n cheese goodness in a rice and chicken form.  My kids all devoured this dish and loved the buttery rice crispy topping. 


CHICKEN RICE CRISPY CASSEROLE

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 TBSP butter, divided
  • 2 cups rice crispies
  • 1 sm-med, chopped onion
  • 2 c. dry rice, cooked (I use brown)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1 can (use the soup can) of skim milk
  • 1/2 roaster chicken or 3 cups chopped baked chicken
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese
  • paprika
DIRECTIONS:

Cook rice.  Meanwhile, melt 2 TBSP butter in fry pan.  Pour over rice crispies and mix gently to coat.  Set aside.  In same skillet fry pan, melt 1 TBSP butter and add onion.  Cook until tender.  Add soups, milk and 1 cup of cheese and cook over med/med-low until cheese is melted.  Add rice and chicken.  Stir to coat.  Pour into lightly greased casserole dish or 9x13 casserole.  Bake for 20 minute at 350.  Remove from oven, cover with remaining cheese, add Rice crispies and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until warm through.  Sprinkle with paprika.

Some variations:
Add sliced green olives to rice part.
Add slivered almonds to rice crispy top.


No comments:

Post a Comment