Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin Bread (better than Starbucks)




 Pumpkin Season had begun.  AHHH!  I am glad my husband will be here to share in a little bit of it before he leaves (sob!).  Drowning my sorrows in pumpkin baked goods and pumpkin pie creamer sounds about right.

Which brings me to Starbucks pumpkin bread.  Moist, dense, sweet, soooo good.  I could eat it everyday and not tire of it.  I have tried a few recipes to fine my own version and have been disappointed.  So, here I went and adapted one to become my own.  It is better than Starbucks.  Yes... hard to beat, big claim.  But seriously, this bread was so good.

Now it took FOR-E-V-E-R to bake.  Just remember, good things come to those who wait!



PUMPKIN BREAD
yield: 1 glorious loaf

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (I used my mixed grains)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 TBSP
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup canola oil (I subbed less than half of oil for drained applesauce)
  • 1 small package cook and serve vanilla pudding
Top with seeds or streusel.

TOPPPING:
1/4-1/3 cup chopped pumpkin seeds, optional

 FOR THE STREUSEL (optional, this bread is still amazing without it)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup pepitas (or pecans, walnuts, or any other nut, chopped)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, room temp (or margarine for vegan/dairy free*)

 DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour (or grantulated sugar) 1 bread pan.
Drain applesauce if using.  Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, pudding mix, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and sale.  In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and oil (and applesauce is subbing).  Dump dry ingredients into wet.  Stir until flour disappears.
Pour into prepared loaf pan.  Top with pumpkin seeds (Pepitas) or streusel.   (For Streusel: mix it all with your fingers until coarse crumb.  Sprinkle over generously.

Bake at 350 for 70-80 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious--I like the addition of the streusel. Streusel always makes things better. I don't go to Starbucks but I'll take you word on it. I'll try it soon.

    ReplyDelete