Thursday, July 28, 2011

Greens and Beans



My grandmother makes this all the time.  I made this last week when my in-laws were visiting.  We all had seconds of it.  How many times do you get seconds of the veggie?  This is a wonderful side dish that is so healthy and packed with vitamins and tastes wonderful!  I love this dish.  I could make a meal out of it.  You can add more broth and make it like a soup.  I like a shallot in it too, but didn't put it in this time because I didn't have any.  Make sure to top it with lots of parmesan cheese!  My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


GREENS AND BEANS


INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
  • 3-5 cloves garlic, minced (depends on size)
  • OPT. Shallot, minced very fine
  • 2 (15 oz) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 lb. of greens (I used a mixed bag) can use frozen chopped spinach if desired (turnip greens, or beet greens...not salad)
  • 1-2 cups chicken broth
  • salt and pepper
  • parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS:


Heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic (and shallot if desired); saute about 2 minutes. Add beans, greens, and 1 cup broth. Boil until greens are tender.  Add more broth if desired.  We like a little bit of broth in it.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve topped with parmesan cheese.  Can also toast some Italian bread crumbs for top if desired, or red pepper flakes for a kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment