Friday, July 29, 2011

Potato Pancakes

  


Every now and then when I was growing up my dad would get a hankering for potato pancakes and would whip some up.  We would eat them as fast as he could make them.  Spread some butter over them and eat them with our fingers when they were almost too hot to hold.  I love them!
Some grate onion into it, but I enjoy the pure potato variety more.  This was how my Polish grandfather made them.  

Now I get a hankering and can whip them.  Never seem to be as great as my dad's though.  Anyway, we made some the other night and my kids gobbled them up!  They liked to dip them in sour cream which is how my husband likes them too, but I still prefer them with just butter.

NOTE:  My husband does not like that these are called "pancake", because they are in no way sweet and they are more like a hash brown.  But they are what they are.  ;-)

POTATO PANCAKES

  • 6 white potatoes (mine were large, so maybe up to 8 if they are smallish)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2-1 tsp onion powder
  • pepper to taste
  • 1/2-2/3 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. milk
DIRECTIONS:
Using a food processor, grate potatoes.  Dump out potatoes and switch attachment to regular one.  Dump potatoes back in and pulse until reduced to mealy consistency (sounds appetizing, right?) so it looks like this.
   
  Dump in large bowl.  Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and flour.  Depending on how much water is in your potatoes, add more flour.  Add milk to thin and mix.  Heat griddle on medium high heat.  Once hot, grease with some butter and use ladle to put on skillet.  (I reduced heat on my iron griddle to med. here) Cook until golden on one side, about 4-5 minutes, and then the other.  Serve hot with butter and/or sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment