This recipe is originally from Barefoot Contessa but I first saw it on http://fortheloveofcooking-recipes.blogspot.com and it was so pretty and looked so good. It was so good. I cut my potatoes pretty thin and they needed to be cut thin to get cooked through, so make sure you slice them very thin. They cook slower than the rest of the veggies. The onions and tomatoes were melt in your mouth tender the zucchini and summer squash were perfect. Of course, my kids didn't love it, but they all ate it, and without complaining too. It is such a pretty dish, packed with veggies and as my husband said, "uncommonly good".
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 3 large Roma tomatoes
- Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Dried thyme and/or rosemary, to taste
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere
Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and gruyere on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned. Enjoy.