Monday, November 14, 2011

Butterfinger Blondies with Buttercream Frosting



These are wonderful blondies!  Super sweet, and are even better on day 2.  They are full of chunks of butterfinger and topped with a creamy buttercream.
They are evil, because I want to keep eating them.  My kids love them, and my husband too, but just a little bit does him.  Wish a little would do me!  My instincts told me to cut the butter by a couple of TBSP, and I wish I had cut it by a half stick, because I found them a bit too buttery at first.  The butter has kinda reabsorbed now, but I still think I will cut it next time.  Then again, when you are talking 2 sticks and another stick for the icing, plus some crisco, so what's a couple of TBSP?  Worth the extra laps you will have to do. 


BUTTERFINGER BLONDIES WITH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
recipe slightly adapted from: cookiesandcups.com

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 c. butter (I will do 3/4 cup next time)
  • 1 c. light brown sugar
  • 1/2 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
  • 2 c. coarsely chopped Butterfinger Bars (about 5 full size candy bars, or 20 small)
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
  •  1/2 c. butter, softened 
  • 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • 1 T. milk (more as needed)
  • 2 1/2 - 3 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c. butterfingers, chopped (about 1 full size candy bar)
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350°F.
I couldn't wait til they were cool, so I cheated and frosted a few early.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.  Beat butter and sugars until combined, about 1 minute. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in flour mixture until just combined, followed by chopped butterfingers.  Spread the batter into 9x13 pan.  Bake 25- 33 minutes, or until the center is set and doesn't jiggle.  They will be a nice golden brown. Cool completely.

Whip frosting and top cooled bars (I only used half the icing, so could half the recipe, if desired).  Sprinkle with crushed butterfinger or mix candy bars in frosting for variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment