Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole (low-fat)



The mass of Thanksgiving recipes is about to begin!  We had a church potluck last night, so I took it as an opportunity to blog some recipes before the holiday gets here.
I grew up with the traditional sweet potatoes with the buttery brown sugar glaze, topped with gooey oozey marshmallows.  It is hard to improve on those, but sometimes change is good.  My sister-in-law first introduced me to a new sweet potato casserole.  I got the recipe and after realizing there was over 2 sticks of butter in it, I realized that while it was delicious, it also was terrible for me.  I am fine with butter in dessert, and a bit in meals from time to time.  But with all the other fat laden things served during the holidays, did I really need one more thing?  Nope...  so I found a lightened version which I think is every bit as delicious with almost 1/4 the butter!   A great addition to the Thanksgiving table!

SWEET POTATO (or YAM) CASSEROLE (low-fat)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 1/2 lb.sweet potatoes (3-4 med.  I did 3, wish I had done 4).  peeled and diced, or 3 cans unsweetened sweet potato puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
  • OPT. 2 tsp orange zest (I OMIT)
TOPPING:
  • 3 TBSP. Flour
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2-3 TBSP butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup coconut
DIRECTIONS:

Dice sweet potatoes (smaller the dice, faster they will cook.  I did 1/2" dice)  Steam the sweet potatoes until tender all the way through and fall off the fork.  Preheat oven to 350.  Place sweet potatoes in a food processor.  Add the rest of ingredients and blend.  Scrape down sides and pulse until smooth with no lumps.  Spread evenly in a 9x13 dish.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and flour.  Add cold butter and using a pastry blender or fork, mix until a coarse crumb. Add nuts and coconut.  Mix with hands.  Sprinkle evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake covered for 25 minutes, and uncovered for another 20.  NOTE:  If your oven is full, like mine is during the holiday's, you will need to bake longer.  Add at least 10 minutes to cooking time.  I added almost 20 with 3 things in the oven.    Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment