Monday, November 7, 2011

Pasta with Creamy Avocado Sauce



If you like guacamole, you will love this pasta!  I love the freshness of this pasta.  The sauce is like a pesto/guacamole/ creamy sauce.  I bought this avocado at Publix that was huge!   It was just called a green avocado I think, not Hass, and was the size of 2 for sure. It was soft and lighter green and it was ready to be eaten.  I had intended to make guacamole, but then got the idea to make a pasta with it.  So glad I did!  My husband wanted me to call this Italian Mexican Pasta.  The whole time I was making this, I felt unsure if it was going to work.  I am glad I trusted my instincts!  It was creamy and so fresh tasting and just plain good.  Our family of 6 finished all but about 1/2 cup of this pasta.  Will be making this one again for sure!

PASTA WITH CREAMY AVOCADO SAUCE

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 ripe green avocado or 2 Hass
  • 13-16 oz cooked pasta (reserve water to thin sauce)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2-3 TBSP fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup fat free greek yogurt
  • salt and pepper
  • juice and zest of 1 lime (I used lemon zest because my lime looked sad)
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2-1 lb, sausages, removed from casing
  • 2 diced tomatoes

DIRECTIONS:

One huge avocado!  The pit off to the right.
Place water on for pasta and salt it.  Place sausage in skillet over medium high.  Break up and cook until done.  Scrape into a bowl and set aside.  Add a bit of oil if needed to the same skillet and add the thinly sliced onions.  Cook onion until soft, sweet and caramelized slightly, about 12-15 minutes.  Meanwhile, cook pasta and place avocado in food processor, with 2 minced garlic cloves and puree until smooth, scraping sides as needed.  Add the yogurt, lime juice, a bit of salt and cilantro.  Puree until smooth and creamy.  Add last clove of garlic to onion for last few minutes of cooking and add the sausage back to pan.  Add zest and pasta to pan.  Add the avocado cream sauce and some pepper.  Mix and add splash of milk or pasta water if necessary to thin.  Toss to coat evenly.  Serve topped with fresh diced tomatoes and and Parmesan cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment