Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cherry Streusel Glazed Muffins


Ever have one of those really productive days that make you proud to be you?  Yeah, I had one today.  Wanted to give myself a pat on the rear and say "good job".  Mostly paperwork, which I know is everyone's favorite, but still productive!  Love it!

I saw my friend Cristine made some muffins a few weeks ago and I had some frozen cherries burning a hole in my freezer.  The idea sounded so good, so I whipped up my own version.
These are dense and so tasty.  Again, just want to eat the tops off, and these muffin tops were so good.  I adore these with a cup of tea.  If you want a little lighter muffin, don't use whole grain and remove a few TBSP flour from the 3 cups.  The muffin itself is not too sweet, which is good because the top is very sweet.  I got more compliments on these muffins than any I have made in the last month for church.  They look amazing, and they really are.


CHERRY STREUSEL GLAZED MUFFINS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 cups flour (I mix whole grain and unbleached)
  •  1 TBSP baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil (I used coconut)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cups diced frozen cherries
STREUSEL:
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1/4 cup oats
GLAZE:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 TBSP milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract 
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400. Grease and flour muffin tin or line with paper liners.

 Make topping, combine all ingredients until crumbly. Set aside.

Beat eggs, add vanilla, almond extract, sour cream, milk, sugars and oil in large bowl; set aside. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Toss in cherries. Mix dry into wet ingredients until just combined. Spoon batter into tin.  Batter will seam thin at first, but will thicken as it sits.

For topping, combine all ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of muffins.

Bake for 17-22 minutes or until done.   Wait 10 minutes, remove from pan.  Mix glaze while they are cooling for 10-20 minutes.  If glaze seems too thin, ad a bit more powdered sugar, if too thick thin with 1 tsp milk more at a time.  Drizzle with glaze (may have left over).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment