Saturday, July 28, 2012

Peachy Pancakes



Today was the day we told my kids about my husbands upcoming deployment.  I thought it would be nice to start with a nice breakfast and break it to them after.  I had some fruit that was about to go, and seeing how peaches and nectarines are so in season right now, it seemed like a winning combo.
My husband called a family meeting.  I wish I had taped it.  One got up in the middle to bring his plate to the sink.  We called him back and he then got a book and left and sat on the couch.  My baby, who is 3, insisted on being fed and held and I don't think he heard a word.  He may not even remember the time when daddy went away.  The older two, were however, engaged and stood and listened intently as daddy showed them where he was going and told them for how long.  Pretty anti-climactic.  Not sure what I expected, but that was not it.  

So, I started with a basic buttermilk pancake recipe, and added lemon juice, and diced peaches.  The pancakes were delicious!
PEACHY PANCAKES
  • 3 cups flour
  • 6 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 egg
  • 2 2/3 cups buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 peaches or nectarines, diced

DIRECTIONS: 

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl; set aside. Whisk together wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix dry into wet.
Add diced peaches and mix.  

Cook pancakes on hot griddle until they bubble on one side and flip until cooked on the other side.

Top with blueberries and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment