Monday, November 26, 2012

Blueberry Syrup (sauce)


 Been having some technical difficulties with blogger.  They limit the number of photos you can upload apparently, and I was over my limit.  Seems to be a theme in my life.  I overfill my quota of lots of this... like calories.  Which bringing me to this yummy treat.  Let's be clear.  I usually eat 1 pancake... max 2.  And only 1 waffle...  I make these plates up and pass them to my husband.  But still, over my limit.  *sigh*
 

 We had some frozen blueberrries that were just about begging to be used up.  I had been making smoothies and all sorts of stuff with them, but my husband requested some blueberry syrup before he deployed (boo-hoo... cry break).  I did my search on the net and found this.  So dleicious! This would be amazing with lemon pancakes as well.  The reviews on allrecipes all said it was better to make and let sit for an hour for the orange flavor to mellow, and they were accurate.  We loved this syrup and I would make it again and again.


BLUEBERRY SYRUP
 recipe from: allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS:
  •  2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries 
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 1 cup orange juice 
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
 DIRECTIONS:
 In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, 1/4 cup of water, orange juice, and sugar. Stir gently, and bring to a boil.  
In a cup or small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the blueberries so as not to mash the berries. Simmer gently until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the almond extract and cinnamon. Thin sauce with water if it is too thick for your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment