Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Post Workout Berry Smoothie

nov 2012 297
I love to make smoothies after I work out. There is something so refreshing about them, and I feel like I am sucking up pure goodness.  I sometimes just do a shakeology, but they are very expensive, and my kids like to partake in the shake with me.  I get a little possessive with shakeology, which is not in my nature.  I am all about sharing my food normally.  I have been making smoothies for a fun dessert for years, but I feel like I have perfected it since I make them more often.  My kids watch me put "salad" in it and are unfazed because they know it tastes great.
A few weird ingredients, that you can click on the links to learn more about.  Chia seeds are packed with protein and omega fatty acids.  Flaxseed meal is full of omega fatty acids as well.  You want the meal verses the seeds, because our body can not break down the seeds to get all those fatty acids.  You will get fiber from the seeds, but that's about it.
Kale is a superfood, like spinach, packed with antioxidants and can be found prepackaged near the packages lettuces usually, and can be found in almost any supermarket.
Stevia is a natural sweetener that is better than many alternative's out there, is calorie free and leaves no aftertaste in my opinion.
Greek yogurt is packed with protein, which is needed to help repair muscles after a workout.
I buy my frozen berries from Sam's Club in bulk, because I am making this for 5-6 of us at a time.
Last thing, when your bananas are about to go bad, peel them, throw them in a baggie and freeze them for smoothie's. 

POST WORKOUT SMOOTHIE

nov 2012 296

INGREDIENTS:
makes 3-4 large smoothies
DIRECTIONS:

Throw all, except for spinach/kale, in a blender or smoothie machine and blend. Add spinach/kale and blend until smooth adding milk if necessary to thin.
I calculated the nutrition below by using a nifty calculator.  

Nutrition Facts
Serving size 1/3 of above recipe

Amount Per Serving
Calories
240    Calories from Fat 51
                                          % Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.6g                           9%
Saturated Fat 2.8g                    14%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 14mg                      5%
Sodium 91mg                            4%
Total Carbohydrates 36.1g        12%
Dietary Fiber 7.1g                     29%
Sugars 24.2g
Protein 14.0g

Vitamin A 45% Vitamin C 66%
Calcium 27% Iron 8%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment