Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Breakfast Cookie



I have a hard time calling these a cookie.   They are a very healthy energy type cookie/bar maybe.  Anyway, I got this recipe from my friend Jenny.  My kids love these, and actually, I enjoy them as well.  They really are a great morning food for a play date (Jenny always made them for our weekly play dates) or maybe a healthy afternoon snack.  Normally, I don't allow "sweets" like cookies for a snack for my kids.  Cookies are a dessert only in this house.  But I would make an exception for these.  The flavors are actually rather complex and  you can really taste many of the ingredients distinctly.  Maybe because there is zero sugar (yes, you read that right, NO sugar) it doesn't mask the other flavors.    Honestly, I had a craving for monster cookies and thought maybe these would satisfy it, but nope...  I am back to the kitchen after I type this post to make monster cookies. Oh well!


BREAKFAST COOKIE

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 banana- mashed
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 c. dry powdered milk
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. raisin or craisins (opt.)


 DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix first 4 ingredients (wet).  In a separate bowl  mix together oats, w.w. flour, dry milk, cinnamon and baking soda.  Mix dry into wet ingredients.  Then add raisins or craisins.  Mix.  Place on greased cookie sheets by spoonful and bake 14-16 minutes (watch them.. I did 15 and they were almost burnt).  Makes about 20-24.  Keeps 3 days or 2 months in freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment