Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Raisin Filled Cookies




And so the holiday baking has been complete for some time, yet I still have quite a few things to post.
These cookies are my husbands absolute favorite.  His mom makes them and I am sure hers are better than mine.   I am not sure where she got the recipe though.
Quite honestly, these are not my favorite cookie.  I find them kind of boring.  However, they are tender and the raisin surprise in the middle adds something.  My husbands whole family devours them in a flash.  They are a fair amount of work with the rolling, cutting and putting together.  But with making all the cookies I did, I could not excuse myself from making my husband's favorite.  So, you can try and see where they rank with you. 



RAISIN FILLED COOKIES
adapted from Vernita Bigler


INGREDIENTS:


  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
  • 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS

Mix all dry ingredientsexcept sugars in large bowl.  Add sugars and mix until incorporated.  
Cut butter in until particles are fine.  Beat eggs and vanilla together and add to flour mixture.  Mix until smooth dense dough.  Chill in 3-4 patties and make raisin filling.



 RAISIN FILLING

INGREDIENTS:
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups raisins
  • 1 tsp vanilla




Mix all but vanilla in sauce pan and boil gently, stirring until liquid is clear and slightly thickened.
Stir in vanilla and remove from heat.  Let cool while rolling out dough.  (I also added some cinnamon to it)



PUTTING TOGETHER:


Roll patties to 1/8" thick.  Cut in 2" diameter (biscuit cutter works great for this).  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Place scant tsp. filling in the center of each circle.  Top with 2" diamter dough.  Pleat edges with fork and prick top to vent (I forgot and it was fine).  Bake @ 375 for 10-12 minutes.  Makes 3-4 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment