Thursday, September 15, 2011

Old Fashioned Apple Pie



I love apple pie.  I see it at the grocery store, or club stores and it just looks so good.  So, every now and then I will buy one because I  am too lazy to make a homemade.  And everytime I ask myself, do I really like apple pie?  The reason being, the apples are always crunchy, totally lacking in flavor, the crust is chewy, and it is just gross.  So, several days later, the pie goes into a landfill.  Such a waste of perfectly good apples.

This pie is just the best apple pie ever.  The flavors are superb and it will have everyone coming back for seconds.  I like my apples to almost melt in my mouth.  If you like firm apples, well then, just cook it less, or skip the microwave part.  But, it remains, that the flavors are great.  Go ahead and try it!


You will wonder how the crust for this pie could be flaky and tender, because it rolls out like a dream.  I don't know is the answer, but it comes out flaky and tender every time.

CRUST FOR APPLE PIE
from America's Test Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:
  • 12 oz (2 1/2 cups) flour
  • 1 TBSP sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 16 TBSP very cold butter, cubed
  • 3 TBSP sour cream
  • 1/4-1/3 cup ice water
DIRECTIONS:

Working in a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar and salt.  Add the cubed butter (right from fridge or freezer) and pulse for 1 second (full second here folks... one-one-thousand)  10 times.  Mix sour cream and 1/4 water to start.  Dump in half.  Pulse a few times.  Add the rest.  Pulse until it just comes together.  (took me 12 times).  Add water by 1/2 TBSP if it seems dry.

Divide in 2 pieces and wrap each piece in plastic wrap.  Put in fridge for at least a 1/2 hour.  (I prepare my apples here) Use flour and wax paper when rolling out to prevent sticking.


APPLE PIE FILLING
from my Aunt Mary

INGREDIENTS:
  •  10-12 apples, cored, peeled and sliced thin
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 TBSP flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
  • pinch salt
  • touch of vanilla (opt.)
  • squeeze of lemon juice (opt)
  • 2-3 TBSP butter
  • 2 TBSP milk
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400.  Slice apples as thin as you can without losing a finger.  I use half Granny Smith and half Gala.  (It will seem like a lot of apples, but after you steal a few slices here and there and cooking in the microwave, they cook down.) If you like softer apples in your pie, put them in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 4 minutes.  This will help them release some juices and help ensure a tender apple.

In a small bowl, mix sugars, flour, and spices.  Squeeze lemon juice and vanilla over apples.  Mix apples with sugar mixture.  Roll out crust.  Place in pie plate and fill with apple mixture.  Put pats of the butter over apples.  Roll top and cover apples.  Cut some slits to vent.  Brush top with milk.  Sprinkle top with granulated sugar.  Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and cook until crust is golden brown and knife goes through apples with ease.  If necessary, cover crust to stop browning but to let the apples continue cooking. Bake at least 1 hour, but usually more.

No comments:

Post a Comment