Thursday, September 29, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Latte


This is wonderful.  Seriously a great drink and made my morning.  I am not a regular coffee drinker.  I adore coffee, but I don't do well with caffeine, so coffee is a treat instead of a daily thing.  Well, this morning, I decided that what those pumpkin snickerdoodles needed was a cup of tea, or better yet, a pumpkin spice latte!
So, I did my norm. . .  looked up some recipes on the internet and made my own.  Now the pumpkin milk concoction is awesome on its own and if you have kids, I think they would love that alone as a warm drink.  Mine were fighting over my leftovers.  So, maybe double this recipe and warm some up for the kiddies?  This makes enough for 2 or three cups of joe, so you will have some leftovers for a second cup, or a cup tomorrow.  And you will want another cup.  I am strategizing now on how I can justify a cookie and latte as my lunch. 

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
adapted from http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com

INGREDIENTS:
  • strong coffee (2 TBSP of coffee per cup of water when brewing)
  • 1/3- 1/2 cup (I did a bit more because I love pumpkin) pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • dash nutmeg
  • 2 cups milk (I used skim but can use almond, rice or even half and half if you dare!)
  • 3 TBSP sugar (I like mine sweet so I used 4 or 5 TBSP, but I have a wicked sweet tooth)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
DIRECTIONS:

Brew your coffee.  Combine milk, sugar, vanilla, spices, and pumpkin in a blender or with a whisk until frothy.  Warm over stove or in a measuring cup.  I only warmed what I would need for my coffee in the microwave.  Whisk again to make frothy and do about equal parts coffee and milk concoction.  Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.    Note: Spices will not disintegrate completely.
*update-  I subbed out 2 TBSP of molasses and 1 TBSP of honey for the sugar and unsweetened vanilla almond milk or the milk.  Still delicious and the kids loved it just as much when I warmed up just the milk concoction!

No comments:

Post a Comment