Friday, October 7, 2011

Browned Butter Citrus Pancakes

 

 My son came into my room this morning while I was still in bed and asked me sweetly if I would make pancakes this morning.  I barked, "NO!".  Now I am not a morning person, or a breakfast lover.  I love breakfast foods, just not first thing in the morning.  My son is totally a morning person and by far, his favorite meal is breakfast.  So, as I lay in my bed, grumpy, I knew I could not deny my son of his request.  I don't want my child to feel deprived, so I dragged my lazy butt out of bed and whipped up these yummy pancakes.  

They were great with the orange segments, which kinda surprised me, and they were also delish with berries on them.  A nice way to zest up the mundane.

BROWNED BUTTER CITRUS PANCAKES

adapted from  williams-sonoma

INGREDIENTS:


  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbs. sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 1⁄4 cups milk
  • 4 Tbs. (1⁄2 stick) unsalted butter, browned
  • 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp. finely grated orange zest 
  • some lemon and lime zest
  • 4 oranges, peeled and sectioned

Directions:

In a small saucepan, heat butter and cook over medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, stirring or swirling pot continually.  Cook until butter begins to get brown bits in it.  It will burn easily, so as soon as it is brown, remove it from heat and pour into a dish to cool some while making the rest.

In a bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt over the eggs and stir to combine. Stir in the yogurt, milk, butter, vanilla and fruit zests until smooth.

Heat a griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease the griddle with butter or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto the griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on top and the batter is set, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2 minutes more. Keep warm until all the pancakes are cooked. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the griddle as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment