Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Biscotti



With an Italian grandmother, I was exposed plenty to biscotti and I was never a fan.  Too dry and I just didn't understand how that could be a cookie.  Alas, I have grown old, and now I like it.  Funny how tastes change, isn't it? Well, even if you don't like biscotti, I dare you not to like this.  It is amazing!  Not going to lie, this was a bit time consuming.  Took me 40 minutes to make the dough.  Of course, with lots of interruptions like wiping noses (I washed my hands people!) and helping with schoolwork.  But, it was not difficult to make.  It smells amazing while cooking.  This recipe is my own version, a mix from a friends fabulous blog-- chasingsomebluesky, and a book Once Upon a Tart.  Enjoy!

PUMPKIN SPICE BISCOTTI

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 1/2 cups flour (I used at least 1/3 mix of whole wheat and oat flour)*
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs, room temperature and separated
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 stick melted butter, cooled
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • scant 2/3 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/3 craisins
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips and 1/2 tsp shortening

DIRECTIONS:

A bit of chocolate in each bite!
Remove eggs from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and spices.  Set aside.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Working with a mixer (or by hand if you are looking for some exercise), whisk egg whites until stiff peak forms and beat in about half the sugar.  In another bowl, beat yolks with remaining sugar until pale and sugar is incorporated.  Add vanilla, almond extract and cooled melted butter.  Gently fold in about half the egg whites, then the other half until combined.  Add raisins, craisins and almonds and fold in gently.  Add flour and mix gently until flour disappears.
Flour a surface and your hands and divide dough into 2 equal parts.  Form two somewhat flat loaves about 3" wide and 12 " long.  This is rough... not a science.  Transfer carefully to baking sheet (I put both on one sheet, but you can you 2 if you want) and bake at 350 for 40 minutes until just golden on edges.
Let cool for 30 minutes and slice with a serrated knife carefully on a slight diagonal, pressing down rather than sawing, making about 1/2" slices.  Spread on sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, turning over, then baking another 10-12 minutes,  until crisp and golden brown.  Allow to cool on wire rack.  Melt white chocolate in a double boiler or in microwave and drizzle or dip into it.  Enjoy!

*HINT:  In my canister, I mix my all-purpose unbleached flour with oat flour and whole wheat.  At least half all purpose flour.  That way, when I make baked goods, I am doing part whole grains without even thinking about it.  And know what?  I can't even tell with any of the sweets.  They are still fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment