Monday, April 2, 2012

Buttermilk Waffles


I hate mornings.  If I had my way, I would go to bed at 2 or 3 am each night and get up around 10 or 11.  Not that I have slept that long in years.  Even reaching 9 am is a feat in itself.  When I do, it is because I have been up several times at night trying to calm the natives while my husband snoozes.  When morning comes, I literally kick him out of bed, because I am spent, and a bit lazy.  This is really better for everyone, because I am not a morning person. I need like 4 hours to wake up.

But on Saturday's, I really have to be the one to get up, because the kids expect a hot breakfast.  My 2 year old crawls in to bed with me every morning and says, "I want breakfass!".  This morning it was, "I want pancakes!".  Nice that the kid knows what he wants.  Me, I love breakfast food, just not the meal.  I am not a fan of morning eating.  Or morning anything really. 

This last Saturday, I was wanting a quick variety and had some buttermilk to use up.  I am pancaked out, so went for the waffle bit.
These waffles were excellent, even in the morning.  Will be my new go to waffle recipe!

BUTTERMILK WAFFLES 
recipe adapted from: food.com

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 1/2 TBSP melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 TBSP sugar
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat waffle iron.  Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder and soda.  In another bowl, whisk eggs , vanilla, sugar and buttermilk.  Add 1/2 the flour.  Whisk a few times, add melted butter, and whisk.  Add remaining flour and mix until everything in incorporated.  Pour onto waffle iron and cook until golden.  Top with berries, syrup and whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment