Thursday, April 26, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Pasta


I love carbs.  My feeble, narrow-mind cannot grasp how someone could do any kind of diet that made one give up carbs.  I simply could not.   And gluten-free...  I admire all those out there who eat gluten free. I just don't think I could.  I mean, perhaps if a doctor told me I would die if I ate them.  Maybe, just maybe, I could then.  But no guarantees.

I saw this on pinterest, and a friend of mine who has a fab food blog also made a version of this.  I must say...  it is a-mazing.  A little spicy, but doable for a sensitive palette like mine and my kids.  The flavors were robust and just plain good. I even munched on the leftovers cold. 



CHICKEN ENCHILADA PASTA

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2-3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (I did beer crock pot chicken)*
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 {4 oz.} can diced green chiles
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 {10 oz.} cans red enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cheese {I used cheddar & smoked gouda}
  • 1 cup light sour cream
  • Penne pasta (I use Barilla plus or whole wheat)

Optional toppings:
Avocado
Green Onions
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Sour Cream (I used fat free Greek plain yogurt)

DIRECTIONS:
*Place chicken in crock pot (I did 4 breasts, used 2 for this and 2 for quesadillas a few days later).  Add 1 cup dark beer and 2 TSBP taco seasoning taco-seasoning for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low {or shred your rotisserie}.  
Chop the veggies.  Place 2 TBSP olive oil in a large skillet.  Add onion and the red pepper and cook about 3-5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes. 

Add green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt, & enchilada sauces.  Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes.  Boil pasta according to package directions here.

Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through.  Now toss in the sour cream, but whatever you do, DO NOT bring to a boil! Cook on low heat or the sour cream will curdle.  Add chicken.   Let warm over low until it is all warm throughout.
Drain pasta and mix with sauce.  Serve and garnish with avocado, tomato, green onion, and a dollop of sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Going to try the enchilada pasta very soon. Maybe even today now that I have the craving and my mouth watering lol. Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete