Friday, April 6, 2012

Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Veggie Sandwich

 

I am one of those weird people who genuinely love veggies.  Not sure where I came from, or why, but I just enjoy them.  I also love veggie sandwiches.  They are my eight year old's favorite too. I know, I have weird children.  They take after their mother and father.  And not much gives me more satisfaction than feeding my kids healthy meals and veggies.  I know, get a life, right?  But it is the little things.  

 Anyway, this was a yummy lunch and I felt great about eating and serving it.  Super easy and pretty quick lunch that you can feel great about eating.


SMASHED CHICKPEA AND AVOCADO VEGGIE SANDWICH

 adapted from twopeasandtheirpod 

Yield: Salad for 3-4 sandwiches







































INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
  • 1 large ripe avocado
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  •  2 tablespoons chopped green onion
  •  Juice from 1 lime
  •  Salt and pepper, to taste
  • splash vinegar
  •  Bread of your choice (I use whole wheat bread)
  •  Fresh spinach leaves and other sandwich toppings: lettuce, tomato slices, sprouts, red cabbage etc.
DIRECTIONS: 
Drain and rinse chickpeas.  Can remove little skins of leave them.  I left them as they don't bother me.  Mash chickpeas with potato masher or fork.  Add avocado and continue mashing until consistency you desire.   Add lime juice, salt and pepper, cilantro, green onion and a splash of vinegar.  Taste for seasoning.  Spread on bread and load with veggies.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment