Monday, April 23, 2012

Taco Seasoning



Lately, I have been becoming increasing aware of all the junk I put into my body.  Now, I am not talking all the baked goods I make.  Those are a different kind of junk.  But seeing how I make almost everything from scratch, I know what the junk is.  I am talking about the junk that I don't even realize I am putting into my body.   High fructose corn syrup for instance.  It is in everything.  And they say it is BAD!  I know sugar is bad too, but the high fructose is bad like sugar on steroids.  So, I am checking labels more and more.   I have not really read a packet of taco seasoning. But I always bought the low sodium, thinking it would be a little less bad for me.  
 

Maltodextrin is the first ingredient in one popular packet.  The stuff is a white powder that our body processed like glucose.  In taco seasoning?  Seriously?  WHY?!?  And then there is partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, which we all know is the devil of oils.  And then they add Silicon Dioxide, which is an anti-caking agent.  If they skipped the oil, maybe they could skip that junk.  And then BHT or another preservative.  BHT has been linked to cancer.  Seriously, if they just used good old fashioned spices, they would not need all the other crap (breaking out the "curse" words!).   And modified corn starch.  Why does corn starch need to be modified?!?!  UGH!!  Okay, my soap box is complete. 

This is no fillers.  So you don't need quite as much volume as you would from the taco packets.  This takes less than five minutes to throw together and you can feel better about one thing that you are feeding your family.   So make it.  Like today.


TACO SEASONING

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 TBSP chili powder
  • 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 TSBP cumin
  • 4 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper
  • 2 TSBP minced onion
DIRECTIONS:  

Dump them in a bowl and mix with a whisk or put a lid on and shake.   Store in a spice jar or airtight container.  Use 2 TBSP in place of taco seasoning packet, depending on how much spice you want.  If you are making good old fashioned tacos, don't forget to use 1/2 cup or so of water when you add the spices to make it good and saucy, like me.  You can also add a sprinkle of cornstarch as a thickening agent when you add the water and spice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment