Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Easy Tortellini Soup


This is one of the easiest soups I have ever made.  It took me about 10 minutes to throw together and I could not believe how good it was!  It was also one of those meals that you feel good about eating because it is chock full of health.  My kids chowed it, and I wanted another helping...  but declined for want of dessert as well.  It kind of was like a beans and greens with some tortellini.  I mean, what could be bad about that?  Sometimes spinach can be strong in things and turn me off.  This had none of that strong flavor in this soup.  It was just delicious.  I went shopping in my pantry and came out with this.  Good deal!


EASY TORTELLINI SOUP

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 onion chopped fine
  • 1 TBSP EVOO
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 boxes of low sodium chicken broth
  • 3-4 cups water (refill a box of broth most of way)
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (I used one but wished for more)
  • 10 oz. spinach
  • bag of tortellini (1 lb.?)
DIRECTIONS:

In big stock pot over med-high heat, put EVOO, chopped onion and salt and cook under tender and begins to brown about 5-7 minutes.  Add garlic and scrape bottom of pan and cook for 30 seconds.  Add broth and scrape bits off bottom of pan.  Bring to light boil.  Put in spinach, beans and canned tomatoes and wait until spinach is thawed.  Return to boil. Add tortellini and cook 5-7 minutes.
Ladle in bowls and serve with lots of parmesan cheese and crusty bread.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic! My family loves spinach and we inhale greens & beans, so this looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete