Thursday, March 17, 2011

Snickerdoodle Muffins


So, I wasn't so sure about these when I first saw the post on twopeasandtheirpod, but I must say, they are really wonderful.  My family devoured them!  My 22 month old had 4 mini muffins after a big bowl of cereal and my other kids had 3-4 mini ones and a big one all after their cereal!  They are melt in your mouth and like a snickerdoodle cookie in muffin form!
Of course, I changed the recipe a little because the original called for 2 sticks butter and real sour cream.  I lightened it a little by doing non-fat greek yogurt and a stick and a half of butter and upped the buttermilk from 1/4 c. to 1/3 cup.  I have not made the originals so I can not say if they are better.  But these were wonderful, so I probably will never make the original.
Don't wonder, just make them!  You won't be sorry!


SNICKERDOODLE MUFFINS
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
made 12 reg. size muffins and about 20 mini muffins

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 sticks softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup non fat greek yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
TOPPING:
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 TBSP cinnamon
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare muffin tins with liners (too delicate for no liners).
 Whisk dry ingredients together and set aside.  With mixer, mix sugar and butter until fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine.
Add half the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  Add the yogurt and buttermilk and mix to combine.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until smooth and no more flour can be seen.
In a bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.  Use ice cream scooper and plop a scoop of the batter into the sugar cinnamon mixture.  Gently roll the batter int he mixture and place in muffin liners.  When all the muffins are complete, sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the tops.
Bake mini muffins for about 14 minutes and the larger for about 18 or until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment: