So, you have a party and you have half a bag of tortilla chips left, most of them broken (no good for dipping). What to do? This casserole is the perfect solution. It is a little chopping and a bunch of cans, so it is very easy. And besides the chips, and the cheeses which holds it together, it is very healthy! Packed with protein, fiber and most of all flavor! This makes a ton... easily serves 8.
I love this casserole. I am not the only one either. It was voted best casserole in the USA in Parade. I have changed a few things, of course. But just to make it better! My 5 year old had 3 generous helpings!! He said, "It's just so good, I can't stop eating it!"
So, thanks Chris Gavenda, wherever you are, for submitting a great recipe, that has become a family favorite in our house!
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 lb shredded or chopped chicken (from roaster is great!)
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can mexicorn
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups prepared salsa (I use Trader Joes Double roasted!)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 cloves minced/crushed garlic
- 1/2-whole lime, squeezed over (I use half before and half garnish)
- 3 cups cheddar or Mexican mixed cheese
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- fresh tomatoes
In a large bowl, combine everything else but the cheese. Mix well. Spread half of the bean chicken mixture over the chips. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups cheese over. Top with remaining chicken mixture and then the remaining cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Tops with garnishes individually.