Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms



I really love stuffed mushrooms.  I like them cheesy and stuffed with seafood, or stuffed with breadcrumbs and cheese.  Really, I am not picky about them... I like all kinds.  These mushrooms were very rich and delicious!  They were definitely an indulgence with the creamy filling.  This recipe is kinda a compilation of a bunch.  Some variations add some fried up breakfast sausage which sounds great, but I was just not in the mood for.  I wanted a creamy rich filling, and this delivered!

STUFFED MUSHROOMS

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
  • 24 oz. of mushrooms
  • 2 TBSP chopped green onions
  • 2/3 cup real grated parmesan cheese (I grated my own on semi fine grate and please no green canned stuff)
  • 8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 4 large cloves crushed garlic
  • dash cayenne pepper
  • sprinkle of onion powder (about 1/2 tsp.)
  • bread crumbs for sprinkling
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375.  Clean mushrooms in preferred method (some say washing them makes them tough and you should wipe them down instead...  I have to wash them because I am OCD that way).  Remove stems of mushrooms and chop into fine pieces.  In a skillet over med high heat, place tsp oil, chopped green onions, chopped mushrooms stems and crushed garlic.  Season with a little salt.  Cook for 4-5 minutes until reduced in volume and tender.  Remove from heat.  In mixing bowl, mix softened cream cheese (I microwaved mine for 30 seconds or so), parm cheese, mushroom stem mixture, the dash of cayenne and onion powder.  Spray baking sheet lightly with nonstick cooking spray and place mushroom caps on it.  Fill each mushroom cap with filling.  Sprinkle some seasoned bread crumbs over each and a little more parm cheese.  Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes (35-40 for big mushrooms) until  bubbly and golden on the tops.  Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment