Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Asian Zucchini Bites





I loved the movie Clueless when it came out.  It was iconic.  I felt a special bond with the movie because, flatteringly, people told me I looked like Alicia Silverstone.  So, this post is dedicated to her, because when it comes to Asian cooking I am a bit "Clueless". 

I always feel a bit foolish posting things outside of what I know.  Like (totally!), I know Italian food.  It's easy.  Garlic and onion, in like everything!  But I really love food of all different types.  Love Indian food, Cuban,  Chinese Thai, African, etc...  But duh, I can go out to eat those kind!  (okay, enough valley girl talk, before I start to annoy myself).

But every now and then I will do stir fry or Pad Thai.  But there are some things I can tackle... I made these the same night I made the regular zucchini bites. I wanted to make some with an Asian twist, because I was making teriyaki salmon.  So, this was what I came up with.  I must say they were pretty tasty.  I found I like them better with the dipping sauce as added element though. 

ASIAN ZUCCHINI BITES
yields: 12 mini muffins

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cups zucchini, grated
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 green onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup cheese (cheddar or Parmesan work the best)
  • 1/4 cup Japanese style panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1 clove garlic (or 1 tsp)
  •  Salt and Pepper
  • soy sauce or Trader Joe's Gyoza Dipping Sauce
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray, set aside.
Grate the zucchini and squeeze out the excess water.
In a bowl combine, the egg, green onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper.
Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 18- minutes, or until the top is browned and set.  Use spoon to gently scoop them out of the muffin tin.  Dip in sauce and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment